Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tall Tea Cosy

I've found that most patterns for tea cosies tend to be for the traditional squat, fat pot. My teapot is tall and fairly skinny. I looked around at patterns, then got out my measuring tape and calculator for making my cozy. When I designed this, I'd only been knitting about 2 months, so it's very simple. If you can knit in the round, you ought to be able to make it.

After felting the cozy, it was too short. About a year later, I finally picked up the stitches at the bottom and knit a couple more inches. Maybe in another year, I'll get around to re-felting the whole thing.

#8 double pointed needles
100% wool worsted yarn (I used Paton's Classic Wool)

Gauge: 3 stitches per inch.

Cast on 116.
Divide between needles and join without twisting.
Knit in stockinette stitch until piece measures 10 inches.
For decreasing, simply knit two together. Numbers do not work exactly, but you will end up decreasing 14 stitches each row.
Decrease every 6 stitches for 1 round, then knit a round.
Decrease every 5 stitches for 1 round, then knit a round.
Decrease every 4 stitches for 1 round, then knit a round.
Decrease every 3 stitches for 1 round, then knit a round.
Decrease every other stitch for 1 round, then knit a round.
Decrease every stitch for 1 round, then knit a round.
Decrease every stitch for 1 round, then knit a round.
If you have an uneven number of stitches, decrease one in the next round, then divide evenly between two needles and bind using kitchener stitch.
Felt until needed size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Several family members requested Tea Cosies at a recent tea. I was a little concerned until I realized a tea cosy is like a knitted cap. Enjoyed your pattern and look forward to knitting cosies for everyone for Christmas.